The MTN Play GameZBoost Summer Challenge Live Finale at rAge Gaming Expo @ The Ticketpro Dome.
MTN setup a stand to showcase there various games offerings, included was the GameZBoost platform, with the main event being the tournament finale on the Saturday. The expo stand was well supported by the public and gave the GameZBoost team the opportunity to showcase the platform and the vast selection of games that are available on the platform, catering for a broad cross-section of gamers of all ages.
A very successful MTN Play GameZBoost Summer Challenge live finale at the 2017 rAge Gaming Expo. Jack walked away a very happy man with R310,000.
The runner up was Patta, who won R210,000 and 3rd place was taken by Black Widow, who won a cool R110,000.
The 5 other finalists each won R10,000 for qualifying. Thank you to all for your ongoing support. Watch out for the next event.
The 8 participants in the Grand Finale gained entry through participation and winning 1 of the 4 qualifying rounds, the winners were:
GameZBoost Summer Challenge – Grand Finale Eliminator Tournament Format:
- When: 7 October 2017
- Where: MTN Gamer+ expo stand at rAge Gaming Expo 2017
- Final Event Format:
- 8 Seats in Single Eliminator tournament format (Olympic system, knockout, or sudden death)
- Ring fenced – accessible to 8 participants only
- Most recent score logged goes through (in event of tie / draw)
- Platform auto matches players for heats
- If users doesn’t play, then bye rule applies:
- Player that played goes through
- If neither play, then the system auto selects the player to go through
- Access: Live Event, with devices and network access provided by the organisers
- Prize: Total Prize Money a whopping R680 000 – Winner Wins R300 000 (+ R10 000 Prize from Qualifying Rounds), Runner-up Wins R200 000 (+ R10 000 Prize from Qualifying Rounds) and 3rd Place Wins R100 000 (+ R10 000 Prize from Qualifying Rounds)
- Other: Play by Invitation only, network ring fenced
- Live Stream: tournament live streamed from 4 cameras (static, roaming and 360), MC’s microphone interfaced with the live stream, custom created ads inserted and live feeds from the tournaments live leaderboards.
- Engagement: live stream specific page, with live commentary, live leaderboards and live high score logs, broadcast to external big screen monitors, via ChromeCast.
- Tournament Game: Double Runner – game only revealed at time of the going live
- Tournament URL: View the Tournament Info and Results – Click Here
- Grand Finale Duration: a 1 day Live event – each playoff round will run for a set time frame, with an intermission during each round:
- Practice Round – finalists given 20 minutes to familiarize themselves the game
- 1/4 Finals – 20 minute round – 8 Winners from the Tournament Qualifying Rounds – Click Here for info on the Qualifiers
- Break – 10 minute body break
- Semi Finals – 15 minute round – 4 Winners from the Eliminator Quarter Final Playoffs
- Break – 10 minute body break
- Finals – 15 minute round – 2 Winners from the Eliminator Semi Final Playoffs
- Prize Giving – supersized checks printed for the prizes
The game used for the final event of the MTN Play GameZBoost Summer Challenge was Double Runner – Go Play it Now – Click Here
The expo stand design provided the opportunity to showcase some of the premium game titles that are available on the GameZBoost gaming platform.
The vibe at the MTN GameZBoost stand at rAge Gaming Expo 2017 was electric, as highlighted in some of the great photos we managed to take at the event.
Adding Live Stream and data to capture the event:
Various devices and media were used to capture the event and broadcast to the live stream during the event, these included:
- Roaming stills camera
- Roaming video camera, mounted to a DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal
- Static Samsung Gear 360 degree video camera, placed in various positions throughout the event
- Static video camera, placed in various positions throughout the event
- The MC’s microphone was also interfaced with the production setup to include her commentary in the live stream
- Screen captures of the live leaderboards, commentary and scores
- Ingestion of various promo snippets and game scenes, all pre-configured in the production solution
For the live stream and audience engagement, the optimal solution is to make use of Samsung Smart TV’s and Samsung tablets, this allows for seamless and latency free screen sharing via the Samsung Connect platform. The key in this scenario is to ensure that quality bandwidth is available across the WiFi network and have LTE SIMS, pre-configured and loaded with data bundles, as backups, should there be degradation of the WiFi network / Internet connection – which is a real possibility at large expo events. A further recommendation is to run the tournament devices and the live stream devices on separate networks, thus mitigating the risk and reducing any latency for the participants playing the live tournament event.
Edited Snippet of the Live Stream video production from the Grand Finale: